Wednesday, October 07, 2009

Miss Information is annoyed by fellow students

It happened again. Miss Information was in hour 8 of her 9 hour day at school and it happened again.

It occurred in the middle of a fascinating discussion about the inevitable crisis that will result from the recent decline in the quality of adhesives used in spine labels. Not really. It was some dumbass discussion of some dumbass library issue though. One of Miss Information's fellow students had something to add.

She began: Well...when I'm a liberrian working in a liberry....

Miss Information was horrified. This woman along with numerous other people in the department, has managed to get through public school, high school, undergrad and is now half way through a graduate program without noticing that the word library has that pesky extra "r". It's her field of study, for pete's sake!

Miss Information learned how to pronounce library in kindergarten because her teachers used to make fun of the children who didn't say the word correctly. Yes. You heard that right. They also made fun of short kids and you can just imagine what they did to the stupider children. Miss Information went to a school that was so tough the teachers were the bullies. It explains a lot about her endless, paralysing fear of authority figures.

However, she, at least knows how to say "library".

12 Comments:

At 11:20 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Maybe she's a Liberian.

 
At 2:25 PM, Blogger charlesm said...

I always thought that it was "libarry" if your going to leave out that pesky "r" that is. hmmm. charlesm

 
At 2:50 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I had the experience of a cab driver asking why were in town, and my partner and I said "A conference." He asked what we did and we told him we were librarians, and there would be more than 20,000 of us in town. He said something like, "Well, who is left in Liberia if you are all here?" (English was not his first language.)

It got us to wonder how many Liberian librarians were at the conference.

 
At 8:10 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

I checked out GOLDIE SOCKS AND THE THREE LIBEARIANS yesterday. I also was annoyed. It was for a teacher to read to her class. Any wonder?

 
At 8:07 AM, Anonymous Lib. Tech. up North said...

Was this Liberrian born on a Wensday in Febyewary?

 
At 8:25 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

aahahhhahhahhahhhhh! That kind of error bothered me even as a kid... that and pronouncing the word "mine" as though it were Mayan...

 
At 6:17 PM, Blogger SpeakUp Librarian said...

Too funny. A pet peeve of all of us libRarians.
The comment about the Liberian librarians really got me too.

 
At 9:05 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

It always drove me crazy in elementary school that some of the adults didn't know how to say library.

I have this cut out and hanging on my bulletin board:

http://www.seattlepi.com/fun/retail.asp?date=20080921

(if the link doesn't work, it might be because seattlepi is picky about the referrer, I find http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/fun/retail.asp works)

 
At 12:58 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Lieberrys grow on lie trees, don't you know.

 
At 3:51 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I work in what's talked about in doublespeak as an "urban library", by which I mean in plain speech, the libarry in the poor black part of town. After a few months of wincing at the multiple uses of the word "lieberry" every day, I decided that this was a cultural battle not actually worth fighting.. so now I do, in fact, work at the lieberry. With libarians. I just don't know how to spell either.

 
At 1:44 PM, Blogger Misanthropina said...

I like to bring "liberry pie" to library potlucks.

 
At 11:34 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm with you on that! During my first and second semesters in library school I had a classmate who would talk about the liberrians at the liberry. It made me twitch every time and worry about her future as a liberrian.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home