Wednesday, May 24, 2006

Miss Information is annoyed twice in 5 minutes

Miss Information was just interrupted by someone who tried to get her attention by tapping on the desk. No one should ever tap on the desk. Is there anyone in the world who doesn't find that annoying? Just stand there and wait. The library staff is not in a coma and someone will look up eventually. By the way, if the people at the desk were in a coma rapping on the desk wouldn't help.

Shortly after that a guy not too much older than Miss Information was so pleased with her ability to focus the microfilm for him, he called her a "good girl" several times.

She is pleased she doesn't look her age and she is wearing girly sandals today but she hasn't been a girl for many years. She suggested that one of the boy staff members could assist him next time.

5 Comments:

At 3:25 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Delightful - I am reminded of a time when a older man declined my offer of help at the reference desk because, and I quote, he wanted to "talk to the adult." I'm pretty sure I wasn't wearing my girly shoes, though...

 
At 5:17 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Fabulous --

When I work on the Adult Reference desk (I'm a teen librarian by trade) I wear my combat boots...

...The better to jam up the rear end of patronizing gentlemen like this one.

 
At 10:47 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I too love your blog. I am a corporate librarian now, but I worked in public libraries for several years before that. Sometimes I think back nostalgically about that time, and wonder if I'd be happier going back...but then I read your blog, and the REALITY of that time comes flooding back. Teaching seniors over and over that they don't need to double click on internet links...out of control preschoolers at storytime...sugared up children, after Hallowe'en... So, thank you for your well written and highly entertaining dose of reality!

 
At 10:46 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

For the record, academic libraries aren't much better. We may not have story time, but we do have profs... If I have one more bearded old white dude throw a temper tantrum and scream at me that he's a professor and therefore doesn't have to follow the rules, I might have to do something drastic.

 
At 11:22 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

You should try this side of the desk of a psychiatric hospital library that serves both patients and medical staff. I always make it a point to wear my girlie shoes, etc.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home